Electoral Registration / Elections

Chat Now
Chat online with a live operator from Fylde Council
Elections / Referendums
Review of Polling Districts and Polling Places 2018
Annual Canvass - Household Enquiry Form
Register to vote (external site)

Eligibility to register to vote:

In order to register to vote you must be:

  • 18 years old or over
  • a British, Commonwealth, Irish or European Union citizen and 
  • living in the Fylde Borough.

You can check if your name is on the electoral register by contacting the Council (01253 658658) or electoral@fylde.gov.uk

From 10 June 2014 as part of Individual Electoral Registration you can register online www.gov.uk/register-to-vote. If you are unable to register online ring electoral services on 01253 658542 or 658549.

To register you will need your:

  • name
  • address and previous address
  • nationality
  • date of birth
  • national insurance number

Please note, completing your registration online does not confirm that you are on the register. You will receive a confirmation letter from us, or we will be in touch if we need any further information.

What if I move house?

When you move into a new property you need to follow the steps above to register individually.

What is IER?

From 10 June 2014 Individual Electoral Registration (IER) was introduced, all new registration applications can only be done individually.

Versions of the register

Using information received from the public, registration officers keep two registers - the electoral register and the open register (also known as the edited register)

The electoral register
The electoral register lists the names and addresses of everyone who is registered to vote in public elections. The register is used for electoral purposes, such as making sure only eligible people can vote. It is also used for other limited purposes specified in law, such as detecting crime (e.g. fraud), calling people for jury service and checking credit applications.

The open register
The open register is an extract of the electoral register, but is not used for elections. It can be bought by any person, company or organisation. For example, it is used by businesses and charities to confirm name and address details. Your name and address will be included in the open register unless you ask for them to be removed. Removing your details from the open register does not affect your right to vote.

You can find more information about both registers and how they may be used at www.gov.uk/yourvotematters.

Alternatively contact your local Elections office on 01253 658549/ 658542 or electoral@fylde.gov.uk.

Postal and Proxy Voting

If you are unable to attend your Polling Station to vote or would prefer an alternative method of voting, you can apply for a postal or proxy vote.

The relevant application forms can be requested from the Elections Office or via https://www.aboutmyvote.co.uk/how-do-i-vote  

How do we use your information?

A copy of the Electoral Services Privacy Notice can be viewed under related downloads to the right of this page.

If you no longer wish to be contacted by Electoral Services via email, you can unsubscribe by emailing electoral@fylde.gov.uk  and requesting your email address by removed.